Ms. Buchanan is a State of California licensed Professional Geologist with nearly 20 years of experience in the environmental consulting industry. As a Senior Project Manager, Ms. Buchanan works directly with clients in the management of a variety of subsurface investigations. She has extensive experience performing and managing all stages of environmental projects, including Phase I environmental site assessments; soil, soil vapor, indoor air, and groundwater assessments; remediation of impacted soil and groundwater; and risk assessments.
Ms. Buchanan's background includes developing work scopes; directing and coordinating activities; evaluating technical data and information, and preparing detailed reports of findings. She works with clients to develop sensible solutions, communicates with regulatory agencies to assure that her clients remain in compliance with state and local requirements, and works closely with her clients’ legal counselors regarding responsible party issues. She is adept at cooperatively negotiating with various stakeholders while maintaining the highest degree of client advocacy.
Ms. Buchanan has worked for numerous commercial clients and municipalities on projects throughout California and in other states, and she has experience with complex, high-profile sites. On behalf of her clients, she has interfaced with various agencies, including the California Regional Water Quality Control Board (RWQCB), the California Environmental Protection Agency’s Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), and other local agencies. She has communicated with these agencies regarding permits, requirements for site characterization and remediation, work plan and remedial action plan approval, environmental and human health risk assessment, and site closure.
Ms. Buchanan’s Areas of Expertise include:
- Review and analysis of historical site information and large data sets to identify best paths forward
- Preparation of thorough, detailed, high-quality documents for submittal to regulatory agencies
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control review of documents for correctness, completeness, technical accuracy, and potential liability
- Strong client service based on advocacy, professionalism, and trust
- Regulatory agency liaison and negotiation, including communication about requirements for site characterization and remediation, work plan and remedial action plan approval, environmental and human health risk assessment, and site closure
- Project management, including scope, budget, and schedule tracking
- Team leadership, including guidance, mentoring, and education